“MASTERING THE FUNDAMENTALS ALLOWS FOR FREEDOM AND CREATIVITY AS SKILL LEVELS INCREASE, MAKING THE GAME IMMEDIATELY MORE ENJOYABLE FOR THE PLAYER, AS WELL AS OPENING MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR EXPOSURE.”
-Coach Michael Mason
I have been blessed to able to play this wonderful game all over the world, and I am fortunate to be able to coach, or train, over 50 players, as they continue on to the next level of college athletics and pro basketball. During this time, the game has grown, the numbers of players competing for scholarship monies have increased, but the cost of college has skyrocketed and the scholarship dollars per prospective player has diminished. Because of this, only a limited few have the opportunity to receive scholarship money to play college sports. The rest have to incur debt to receive a higher education.
This partnership with SDC Scholarship Camps allows me the opportunity to marry my two favorite things: basketball and financial coaching. As a financial coach, I see the stress college planning creates. As a basketball coach at Huntington Prep St Joe’s and Garner Road, an Adidas Affiliate, I see the nation’s best compete every week to be one of that magical 2% who will receive scholarships to continue their playing careers. Now I can provide the other 98% an opportunity to master their game, by mastering the skills table, AND receive monies to further their educations as well. It’s the ultimate one – two combination: learning and earning.
I am beyond ecstatic about the opportunity to assist young, aspiring athletes with skill development, college funding, and planning services. Creating win-win situations is the hallmark of successful relationships, and this program will allow me to create lasting relationships, both on and off the court. My job as a coach and a trainer is to not only teach the game of basketball, but to use basketball to teach kids to win in the game of life. Skill Development Coach and SDC Scholarship Camps provide me with the PERFECT platform to TEACH basketball and ASSIST with college planning and funding.